HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pointing Labs
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 12:30 PM
AlaskaMagnum

Default RE: Pointing Labs

Doc,

I definatley agree with you regarding the cold water, etc...however on just ability point, retrieve, etc., a good traditional (and it must be traditional) gsp or Deutsch Kurzhaar (german bred) is just as good a retriever as a wirehair. Of course the cold weather puts the gsp at a disadvantage, but in hot weather, the gsp is better in the uplands than any lab or wirehaired pointer. The gsp is a true "desert dog" if need be, while neither a lab nor a wirehaired pointer are going to fit that bill as well.

I guess what I am saying is that all three breeds fit the bill, I would look next at climate, and then finally at price.

Just so you know, I have both a gsp(traditional) and a lab (non-pointing) because I live where it is very very cold. I like both breeds, but I would not pay $1,500 for a lab that points, especially since most breeders can't even guarantee the pup WILL point (I did look into a PL at one time), and unless things have changed, I have never seen a breeder guarantee that the pups will point with a money-back or new-pup deal. So for me, if I could only have one dog in super cold climes, it would be a Deutsch Drathaar (I prefer the german registries) from a reputable breeder and about 1/3 the money of a PL.