HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun or bow?
Thread: Gun or bow?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 01:37 AM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: Gun or bow?

Bobby and Jroot,

Perhaps some selective reading going on…..

No doubt bowhunting requires a higher skill level (stalking, camoflage, physical practice, tracking [unfortunately], scent control, etc.) to be successful than does rifle hunting, I will give and always have “given that one up” right up front in these discussions.

Unfortunately, bowhunting is also a much more time intensive (in a number of areas) thus infringing on economic, familial, and social priorities (at least in my case). It would also restrict the numbers in our group who would “bring in the bacon” on any given day. It is also generally a lower productivity endeavor than rifle hunting, and as such it simply does not match the goals of my group.

We treat the hunting element more like a military operation --- strategy, execution, use of superior firepower (rifles) accomplishes this end very efficiently for us. We strive to get the animals early (first day or two) and then commence the process of using horses and panniers and to pack the meat and antlers (and the spike camp) out followed up by the communal butchering session right there in the main camp.
In an attempt to allay touchy feelings I even threw out this buffer….
For those that like bow hunting I am sure the closeness of it is great. To each there own. The main thing is to get out there.
Regarding the discussion of bowhunting being equally lethal to rifles as in….
a properly arrowed animal whether it's a deer or elk will flee no further than one shot with a rifle.
…. sorry, I just can’t buy that one --- “dead may be dead” (wuff) but a bow won’t “drop them like a brick” as a rifle can do. When I see the U.S. military rearming our military with bows and arrows over rifles then I’ll revisit that one.

Again, bow hunting has to be a thrill, gets the killing up real close and personal. Requires more skill too. That is all fine and good for those who have those priorities and who wish to make that trade-off.

In our case, it just doesn’t meet our criteria. When we hit the woods our plan counts on inflicting some serious arse whoop and quick (see above) ---- rifles are good for that and that is why we like them. No need for a flame war, it is simply a different set of priorities playing out amongst different people.

EKM