HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun or bow?
Thread: Gun or bow?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 03:52 PM
jroot

Default RE: Gun or bow?

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

For me, rifle. Personally, I do not like to see animals run from the point of impact and have to settle for the hope of catching up with them "just into the woods a bit" or "over the hill". The more I can reduce this "flight factor" the happier I am

i disagree with your statement. a properly arrowed animal whether it's a deer or elk will flee no further than one shot with a rifle. in fact, in my limited bow hunting experience (i've taken 3 deer with my bow) the furthest one got after being shot was approximately 30 yards, the other 2 less than 10 yards each. archery hunting is as effective as rifle hunting if properly executed.

i never thought to much about bow hunting growing up out west and used a rifle to do all my hunting. however, after hunting for 2 years with a bow i'd have to say that nothing (in my opinion) can beat the rush/excitement and feeling of accomplishment of hunting with my bow ...don't get me wrong i still like to pop'em at a couple hundred yards with the 7Mag when i get the chance. but i just don't get the same level of excitement as shooting one at 10 yards with my bow.