HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NRA telemarketing
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
CalNewbie

Default RE: NRA telemarketing

Deerslayer and rwilson have raised some good points. Some here are equating our frustration with the NRA's fundraising methods with a lack of support of the NRA's mission. I think that's mis-stating our message. To state it more clearly, while I support gun-owner's rights, its unfortunate that the our primary advocate (the NRA) has chosen methods of fund-raising that serve to turn us off to the many good things that the organization accomplishes.

A sensitive topic like the 2nd amendment sometimes generates passionate responses that while well intentioned, stretch credibility. No one is equating telemarketing with torture. But I think we can be free to express disgust with both.

Think of it this way: NRA - wrong of right. When right, to be kept right. When wrong, to be put right. And to be put right the NRA needs to clearly hear the message that their fundraising methods are driving members away. Organizations that grow to the NRA's size sometimes become "monsters" that need more and more money to sustain themselves. Sometimes the core mission suffers because they're spending so much time and effort "feeding the organization".

--All but the really bored should stop here. The rest is my tirade about fundraising calls in general, not just the NRA's calls--

Fundraising efforts, telemarketing, direct mail, etc. are often referred to as "campaigns" and measured by their success rates. The people who work these things are professionals and know before going into it that their success rate will be X percent. They know that they're going to have to call or mail X number of people to get Y amount of dollars. And from that donation amount, they pay the telemarketers, printers, post office, etc.

Its not uncommon for an organization to get less than half of the money donated in a campaign. Donate a car worth $4,000 and the charity might only get $500. Better for you to sell the car and donate all the proceeds yourself. The clearance rates are worse for telemarketing because the expenses are high, but the success rates can justify it. People find it hard to say no "in person". Its much easier to throw away the mailer. They stretch for reasons not to contribute, and the telemarketers have scripts to answer some of those excuses. That's why they can be so difficult when you move the discussion away from their script. Doubtless there are some who don't give a rats a$$ about the cause they're calling for. Its their job, that's all, and they aren't in a position to do any more than parrot back their scripts.

My message to all solicitations is a firm no. No mailer ever gets returned. No phone call is ever successful. In no way do I want to encourage that infrastructure. I earmark my charitable donations and send them unsolicited as the year progresses. This way they get all of the money, instead of just part. You can't support every cause, even the truely noble ones.