Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NRA telemarketing

Old 07-13-2004, 01:47 PM

Default NRA telemarketing

Just wonder how many of you get offended by their tactics to sollict funds. I hate all forms of telemarketing. I know we need the NRA but they seem to be pushing against their own.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NRA telemarketing

Their incessant pleas for "more money" are extremely irritating . [:@]
Nearly as much as their inability to understand that most of their members are regular folks who don't always have an extra $20 every time they overspend or have some new cause celeb . If they spent half the money on recruiting new members that they spend on begging they wouldn't need to beg . Strength flows best from numbers , not average contributions .
Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM

The constant pestering for donations is the thing that drove a friend out of the NRA, and will probably keep me from renewing my membership. It seems that you don't join the NRA to protect gun-owner rights so much as you pay to be put on a telemarketing, mailing, and e-mail list to get continuously soliceted for more money.

And God forbid that you should ask for details when the get you on the phone. They're just not set up to deviate from their scare-tactics scripts. I've had a few instances where I've told them that I was going to research the legislation in question first. One instance in particular, background checks for purchases at gun shows, I disagreed with the NRA stance. That really throws them for a loop, they just keep asking for a donation until you hang up on them.

Then you've got the constant mailers requesting money. I really don't care if Wayne La Pierre wrote a book, but I hope that the NRA is getting all the money from it, not just some if it, otherwise why did they promote it to me about half a dozen times.

I'd prefer that they dropped the scare tactics and rhetoric and focused on an intelligent research and debate. Take the assult weapons ban as an example. Rather than treat that as the first step in taking away all our guns, why not challenge it on its effectiveness. They've banned the things for 10 years. Has there been any real change in crime levels? Were they even used in that many crimes to begin with? (outside of the Steven Segal movies that is). Too bad we don't see that kind of information and approach in the mailers.

Sorry, I've started to rant a bit. [:@]
Old 07-13-2004, 02:24 PM

I was an NRA member as a very young man but one high pressure phone call cooked my goose with them. Really turned me off. The tactics can be likened to some of the things that the anti's use against hunters/shooters. Never intend to be a member again and this happened 20 or so years ago.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

That is why people aren't rejoining. It is one thing to get the junk mail but the phone calls are to much.[:@]
Old 07-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed, I held off on joining for a long time because of their obnoxious tactics. I agree with them that the second amendment needs defending, but they constantly sell this idea that your $20 is all that can prevent immediate confiscation of all firearms.

Their latest little tactic has me seriously questioning whether I should renew my membership. They sent out this hunting video unsolicited, with some mumbo jumbo about keep it if you want, pay for it if you can, send it back if you want. Bottom line is they sent it unsolicited and I don't have to pay for it. But now they're billing me for it! So, with my renewal fee due, if I send the renewal fee, first thing they're going to do is subtract the video fee, then tell me I owe another $9 for my membership renewal. The only way out of this I see is to say to heck with it and let my membership lapse. I tried calling them about this issue, but gave up after sitting on hold for 45 minutes.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

These tatics are the reason that I'm not a NRA member.

I rarely have telemarketers call me. For about a year I told them "Put me on your do not call list". It seems to work except for the politicians. They are exempt from the "do not call" laws.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:20 PM

Anyone heard of or joined the "new" foundation called "Friends of the NRA"?[&:] Seems the money will go to enhance youth hunting, etc.....
They had a meeting here for a district "State" group.. Out of 30 invited guests, only 3 showed???[&:] They have a website, but I am still suspicious!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate telemarketing as much as the next guy, but not joining, or quitting the NRA because of telemarketing, is as poor as an excuse as you can have!
The NRA is the best thing gun owners, and Second Amendment supporters have going for them!
If not for the NRA, guns would already be outlawed in America! There are other things that you can do besides quitting! Get on the "do not call list," ask them not to call you, hang up the phone, or just say "you can't afford a contribution right now, thank you," and then hang up!
I have been a NRA member for many years, and I have only been called about two or three times, at most during those years! It costs the NRA a lot of money to keep up the fight for our guns! Rhe anti's are a smaller group than us gun owners, but they are mostly rich, elite, hollyweirds! Many of these wacko's give thousands, if not millions to the anti-gun groups! These are the people the NRA is fighting against everyday! If you can contribute, great! If you can't, then don't! No problem!
I get way more calls for credit cards, than from the NRA!
There IS a very real threat to our Second Amendment right to bear arms, and the NRA is by far the best voice the gun owner has these days!
Please don't cut off your nose to spite your face!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:54 PM

I have been a menber of the NRA for 9 years. But the calls get to be rediculous. They try to make it sound like it is my duty to give more money. I always turn them down. I will continue to be a member, but they are only going to get my yearly dues. The only people i give money to on a regular basis is the disabled veterans. They always send stationary and calanders. I try to send them $20 when i can. I probably would send a little extra to the NRA if they were not so pushy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.