HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:50 AM
atlasman

Default RE: Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE?

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I don't understand why anyone would bash a hunter who won't shoot a doe. When I'm out, I make the decision of when I shoot and at what. I'm after a mature buck and how could I accomplish that if I give away my position by shooting at any doe that walks by? Then I would have to get down, Trail the doe, Gut it, drag it, Take it to the butcher, .....A lot of distraction when most guys can only get out a few times a season. Oh, and like I said before, I don't care that much for venison anyway! The does I don't shoot get shot by the guys that hunt does. I'm glad that enough people like that sort of thing. They can have my share.

I don't see what most people have said as "bashing" a hunter that won't shoot a doe...........I just think that they are pointing out the selfish act of someone wanting to shoot only big mature bucks for themselves...........but they don't want to do the dirty work necessary to keep those big bucks around for years to come. Managing a deer herd properly requires a lot of effort and when the guys that are out there year after year doing that dirty work see someone that just wants to reap the benefits of everyone elses dedication and not help out themselves............it's not hard to figure out why they get defensive. Maybe THEY don't want to shoot that doe on that day either.....but they do because it NEEDS to be done.

At least that's the way I interpret the "bashing" as you called it from the QDM guys.

I just love venison and my family eats so much of it that we have 2 huge freezers set aside just for the long offseason.........so I have no problem bringing the girls home and introducing them to my grinder

The only QDM I practice is Quality Deer Meat