HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for help on building a 3-D course
Old 02-20-2002, 11:56 AM
PA DropTine

Default RE: Looking for help on building a 3-D course

E-mail me...

I've closely participated in the design of two 40-target 3D courses.

Here is a short list of things to consider:

Aerial maps will help a lot. If you don't have one... make a simple sketched Aerial view of your own. Trust me... this will help. Once you have this map... frame or laminate it and hang it on the wall for easy reference.

Contact your insurance agent for quotes... if needed. Don't trust a strager with your liability issues. Also... most liability clauses will differ from state to state. I.e. in Pa, a liability waiver means nothing when it comes to someone getting injured on our property. Don't believe it? Call your attorney ann find out for yourself.

Will it be a 30 or 40 target course?

Will it be an IBO tournament course.. or a casual course to ready other hunters for the upcoming season? If IBO... you must adhere to the specs found on the I.B.O. website.

If intended to be used as a local club competition range only... heck, you are limited only to your imagination. Over the years I've seen some pretty crazy/outrageous/hysterical shots.

Are there any water hazards involved?

Are there any hills involved...?

Is it possible to wind the course past your starting point? This way... you can offer the shooters a break in the middle of the course? Additionally, you will be selling more refreshments than if you only have them stop back after the shoot is over.

How do you plan to set out targets? 10 from the front... ten from the rear... and meet in the middle? The number of targets [and number of participants/helpers] will dictate the most efficient method.

How many people will help you set out the targets during the 3D shoots? If no one shows up to help... can you do this on your own? 4 wheelers work great... but tractors work best. After a while, you will find yourself replacing belts... and making repairs on any four wheeler.

Do you live in an area where these targets can be left out for extended periods?

Storage of targets is always an issue.

Repairing targets is always [never] fun.

Safety issues? Easy... make sure all shots are away from other targets and travel routes between every target. Nothing worse than hearing an arrow zipping through the woods overhead or nearby.

Are there going to be any other events [shotgun sports] held on the same day as your 3D shoots?

Does anyone else have access to this land? Will they object to your using the entire 85 acres? Ask for their input.. because it's always better to ask... than to be forced into re-cutting a course. TRUST ME! Do it right the first time.

Also... if you plan to have steps anywhere on the course [stands or on steep hills] ...make sure they are coated with a non-skid material [all of them].

Moving targets? Sure... but there are a few considerations which need to be discussed... i.e. manual [another person needed], automatic, or self started [gravity/pull rope].... not to mention safety issues.

More than one target at a single station? Yep.

Elevated stands? Sure... [IMO] they are the best shots on the course.

Water targets? Woohoo! You betcha!

Finally... it will be difficult at first... but with a few dedicated friends... and an equal amount of quality chain saws, pruners and weed whackers... you can have a course completed in a few weeks.

Do you have access to a brush-hog? If so... this makes things a little easier... sometimes but is not necessary.

Like I said... feel free to send e-mail and I will help as much as possible.

-DT

Edited by - PA DropTine on 02/20/2002 13:18:31