HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your opinion:
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 PM
stuckinthereeds
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your opinion:

If your still looking for a fly rod, maybe I can help. I have been fly fishing for a number of years and have found nothing beats the good gear. With that said, you may pay more but you will get better quality. I have a 9 foot 5 weight for trout on big waters such as the missouri river. For smaller waters I have a 8 foot 4 weight. Both my rods are Sage. Great company. Whatever you buy, make sure it has a warrenty. I snapped my rod with the vacuum, ( don't ask, long story) but it was replaced free of charge. The type of rod you get will also be determined by what type of fish you are going for. 4,5,6 weights are typically for trout. 6,7,8 weights you start getting into bass, walleye, pike etc. The bigger the fish the higher the weight. Make sure you go to a pro shop. They will be able to help you more than Walmart or a outlet store. One more thing, if your starting out, go with a combo. They are matched pretty well. However, as you go up in experiance, you'll want to purchase the rod and real, and line seperatly to meet your needs.

Hope this helps.

Fish on.