HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your opinion:
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 02:23 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your opinion:

Idaho I use my spinning outfits for everything fish wise in my area (small to large fish - pike, walleye, lake trout, bows, perch and on occasion other trout such as splake, brooks or bass). The rod I landed the 45er pike on was no different nor was the line than what I use for finesse fishing walleye - 8lbs test. All my spinning rods run 4-8 pound test, I usually bail up 4lb and 8lb on my spool to cover all possible applications and like spiderwire super mono or similar small diameter/low stretch/sensitive lines. Landing fish isn't relative to the test but rather the drag and playing the fish properly. The only times I use heavier line is fishing heavy weeds (lily pads, cabbage, etc), timbers, top water lure fishing or deep water trolling/jigging lakers. In these cases I always use my baitcasters which are spooled up with Berkley XT 12 lbs test. If you do use light limp line for trout or smaller fish and only have a spinning outfit to fish both situations I would suggest spooling 6 lbs of mono and 10-12lb of xt type line on a spare spool. Med action rod should suffice for your needs. For deep running or jigging lakers I personally like a medium heavy action rod, but I don't think that is a requirement of yours. The length of the rod is personal and in some case balance to the reel is the final indicator which one I go with - but a 6.6-'7 is most common found and used.