HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - AXIS ST Arrows - update.
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: AXIS ST Arrows - update.

ShadowAce:

There are SOOOO many things that can happen to this sort of operation when using 24 hour epoxy unless the assembly is fixtured. The 'HIT' system is not only, IMPO, less desirable for the application over the standard inserts, but it is a 'BLIND' assembly operation. The procedure for assembly is time consuming and is susceptible to error and movement during the curing operation. Just suppose someone bumps the table and knocks all the arrows on the floor. Just suppose someone stands them on end as many do with standard nocks. And I'm sure there are some other 'just suppose' issues.

Given that it is right now the only alternative, we have no choice. The tools that are provided can be used successfully; but, what is the learning curve for the average/general user? By discussing this assembly procedure at length, I hope that more caution is taken and that this will help eliminate problems to many.

Yes, I'm very skeptical. After all, this is a complete change from what we've been successfully using with aluminum and carbons for many years. In fact, I'm a big fan of the outsert type of point adapters. This design 'contains' the inertia/force of the arrow following the tip and keeps the butt end of the shaft from shattering. Many people don't like them for various reasons; but, they're stronger than anything I've ever used. And, all you really had to do was sand/clean the diameter and use something as simple as 5 minute epoxy.

I'm still searching for an alternative to the 'HIT'. Until I find it, the 'HIT' will have to be used. I've found an alternative for the nock end. I like the concept/design of the shafts and find them to be very strong. Now to get a good straight set of shafts.