HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weekend near tragedy
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Striper Phil
Typical Buck

Default Weekend near tragedy

Well what a weekend! Where to start, first for the good news I am hooked. Sighted in the new Traditions Pennsylvanian BP. Used 777 powder and Balls and loved it, got to where I could consistently put shots inside the #8 ring every time with 75 grains. Now that is the first time in a long time I shot Iron sights being half blind and all, actually just the normal 54 year old loss of 20-20. First story, found a design defect I think. Specs - double trigger double position hammer. Here’s what the manual says and what I was doing. With BP loaded pull the hammer back to the first stop and put the #11 cap on. Pull trigger back to the second stop. Release (pull) the rear trigger (now ready to fire using the hair set front trigger. This worked just fine. After setting the trigger to the first stop and adding the cap I was pulling the trigger to the second stop and it slipped off my finger. The trigger jumped forward and skipped the mid way stop and off went the gun. Well I was dam glad I had it safely pointed down range. Nearly crapped my pants. I tried to repeat this several times and it jumped to the full closed hammer position each time. Do all double triggers do this?

Safety rule # 1 always point the muzzle in a safe direction saved my but!!!! More stories later.