HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 09:53 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Some focus on the caliber, the velocity, AND the bullet.

Not to fast, not too slow.
Thin skinned bullets for thin skinned game.
Medium constructed bullets for medium density game, etc. etc.

I like 300 gr. Nosler Partitions in a 375 HH for elk, plenty of expansion, plenty of bone bustin' penetration too. Since getting bumped off of my 338's by my two boys, I have had 3 elk with the 375HH. All three with Partitions. All three just gave it up right on spot they were hit (of course I'm in the minority and just bust'em right thru the shoulder and take out the front axle). I've got enough rifles I could choose to go smaller and weaker in cartridge or go larger and more powerful in cartridge. Seems like I like what I see happen off of the business end of my barrel when I choose bigger and more powerful cartridges. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I think know the results I like best when I put a shot on something --- the closer it comes to "bang - plop" the better I like it--- that is just me. [Ever present disclaimer: "Don't try this if you can't handle the rifle."]

Of course, this is a Brownie thread that has touched on and off onto "proper" cartridges for ungulates. Regarding Brownies and the "proper cartridge", I'll have to just sit back and listen. I've heard it both ways from those that claim to have hunted Brownies. It seems like each has a bit different viewpoint, some view points being way different. Just an observation, but it seems depending on which "flock" a given forum member belong to, folks go running to the "shepperd" that sings the song they like to hear and one that supports their existing ideas and ESPECIALLY if it supports their current inventory of firearms.

When the quarry can bite back, some will probably choose to err on the heavy side. As always in these forums, to each his own.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM