HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 11:01 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

Sounds like the application of African technology to the Alaskan setting for us on Dangerous Game --- just another chapter in "Old West Tech". I'm sure the 30-06 and 300WinMag enthusiasts were dismayed by the arrival of the 338WinMag. I'm sure the black powder dies hards at the turn of the century were dismayed by the arrival of the 30-06, etc. etc.

I'm sure this has happened on Alaskan Hunting Forums somewhere long before today and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Going the other direction, the stories float around about Eskimos taking Polar Bears with a .223. Since 99% of the respondants will never go hunt Alaskan Brown Bears, and even if they do they will be governed by the state and by their guides. I guess it doesn't really matter nor cause any harm.

Personally, I have two 338WinMags (and love them dearly) and I also have a 375HH and a 416 and I REALLY like them too. If I part with $16,000 for a Kodiak island Brown Bear hunt, then the 375 H&H and the 416 Rigby will be the ones that make the trip.

I would take one of the 338's only if I questioned my conditioning versus the hiking to be done in which case I would take my lightweight synthetic Sako in 338WinMag, but I don't think I'm that old yet.

IMHO, 338's are great small bores and 375's & 416's make nice medium bores and it is the hunters choice what to use them on. With critters that can and do bite back I like the idea of erring on the side of plenty. Certainly if one can afford the hunt, then the cost of the rifle and the prep time to "become one" with a good hammer is a minor consideration overall. Of course, as always, this assumes the hunter has the cajones required to handle the rifle --- which if approached properly is no big deal really --- particularly by someone with the gumption to head North and pursue a Brown Bear.

Just my $.02.....

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM