HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 09:53 AM
loner

Default RE: Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land

knowing that birds are in the area you are hunting,i would get there well before daylight and hope to hear a gobble from the roost.i would not use owl or other locator calls.if after an hour,you hear no gobbles,i would try setting up a couple of decoys at the edge of a field,food plot or clearing and only call softly and conservativly.birds this time of the season have been called alot and have seen hunters after hearing the calls and are very wary.just because you don't hear one gobble does not mean they are not there.birds are still gobbling here after the season closed may 1 st.this is the time for listening more than calling until you hear a gobble.once you know where the bird is and can determine the direction of travel, you can setup in front of him and call softly to let him know you are there and be patiently.btw,i don't know what kind of population you have there but here in ms. 38% of the annual harvest is taken during the first week.