HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - iron sights
Thread: iron sights
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 08:55 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: iron sights

Yes you can put iron sights on just about any barrel. Williams and Marble both make sights you can install. If you really want to put them on there get a gunsmith to measure for the correct height. I would also suggest puting on the "drill and tap" sights as opposed to "solder on" sights in case you want to remove them you can and put plug screws in the holes. They are cheaper to buy and install also.

Personally I wouldn't bother with them. It won't be cheap either way. Figure about $50.00 to mount the front sight and another $50.00 to mount the rear sight. This would include drilling and tapping the barrel. Now figure the cost of the sights themselves and you are looking at about $150.00+- to have iron sights installed. Not worth it IMO.

Put that money into a good scope and you will never need iron sights. A good 3-9X40 will serve you very well with a 7mm magnum. It has a low enough power for close up shots and enough magnifaction in the high range for those long shots as well. I have taken deer and elk as close as 15 yards with a 3-9X and have never felt like I needed iron sights.