HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The big Three? is that it?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Hitch

Default RE: The big Three? is that it?

I tend to agree with you. I also own a Hoyt (Protec), which is a fine bow and has served me well the last three years. My son shoots my "passed down" Alpine Sierra Magnum that still shoots better than the shooter and has been a quality piece of equipment for fourteen years. My personal choice off the rack is a CSS Encore. It is extremely high quality, no frills and as consistently accurate as they get. I purchased these bows because they fit me right and they are easy to service. The lack of a local dealer did not hinder my purchase of the Encore because of the great customer service from CSS, and because I have the skills to work on it myself if the need arises. The trend in archery seems to be high dollar bows with lots of new "techno gadgets" that make this years' model better than last years' model. Many new bow purchases are made by people new to the sport with minimal knowlege of bow mechanics, thus advertising plays a big part in the choice. The companies with the biggest ad budgets tend to sell the most product. The more they sell the more they earn, and the trend continues. The best advice I can give regarding buying a bow is to get your hands on as many as possible and shoot them. Go to some archery shoots and ask lots of questions. Many shooters are proud of their bows and will let you take a few shots with it (I would). The proof is in the pudding! I personally buy a bow with the intent of three years of use before replacement. They need to be simple, efficient, durable, accurate and realistically priced. I shoot indoors, outdoors and bowhunt all over North America with the same bow so it needs to do all three, but do best in the woods. You are doing the right thing by taking your time. I got lucky and shot a CSS at a 3-D shoot and found it fit me perfectly, plus I didn't have to re-finance the house to own it. Good luck finding the right one!