HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have any funny fishing stories?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2002, 01:24 AM
jlb66
Fork Horn

Default RE: Have any funny fishing stories?

I was northern fishing up in canada 2 years ago twards the end of may. water was still pretty cold nothing to swim in but of course that wasn't gonna stop me. We were anchored in this bay that was 3-5 feet deep slip floating for gators. I threw my line out and forgot to put the reel on free spool. It was about 15-20 mins without a bite and I bent over the edge of the boat to put my somke out and I heard a TINK THUMP SPLOOSH. looked up and there was my baitcasting set up swimming away and a pretty considerable rate. After a few short bursts of "S%$# S%#$" I dove head first into the bay and started chasing the pole which I finally caught after a short in the water sprint. AND IT WAS COOOOOLD!!! The two guys I was fishing with darn near fell out of the boat they were laughing so hard. The best part was the fish stayed on the whole time and we got it landed. It turned out to be a 19.6 lb gator. Piece of advise when slip floating northerns if your not holding onto your pole make sure it's on FREE SPOOL.