HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DEC has it figured out!!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 10:30 AM
atlasman

Default RE: DEC has it figured out!!

ORIGINAL: osiris

Lastly, to state the 99% of the hunters in this state are dis-satified is a littel bit of an overstatement, would you agree?
Probably.............but that is a VERY accurate statement reguarding the western ny area where I primarily hunt. I have yet to speak to someone any where near here that is seeing anything different then what I am saying. I know a group of 25 guys that come up every year from PA to hunt our southern tier.........they love it and have been coming for years. The last few years they have been saying that the deer numbers are down noticably and this last season they only took one spike buck in a 5 day hunt with 25 guys [] Sadly, this was the last straw......next year they are going to try Ohio instead.

I do not personally know one person who is dissatisifed with the current system of managment. However, I do hear several people on-line who have some issues with what is transpiring. I believe thse sediments are highly regional, however.
I can't speak for the ENTIRE state..........and I think the DEC makes that very mistake. Sure the herd has dense spots but just because one area has a bunch of deer doesn't mean other areas are the same. They need to do a better job of recognizing the areas that are getting whacked too hard and back off the permits for awhile. I have 10-15 deer in my backyard every day..........but do me a favor and don't use them as a way to determine the population in our area because they can't be hunted.

Did you see the chart for doe permits last year??........JESUS!!! Just about every damn option was a high liklihood of 2 tags. Cmon man, they are saying that damn near EVERY zone in the state is infested??

I have one last question for you: What part of the state do you hunt and do you hunt public or private land primarily?

Thanks. TGK

Western NY. Erie, Wyoming, Cattaragus, Allegheny counties mostly. Also hunted a few times out near Auburn in Moravia (not sure county). I hunt private and state land with more time spent on state land especially for gun seasons.