HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DEC has it figured out!!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DEC has it figured out!!

"I personnally know a dozen guys that don't call in there harvests on the DECALS system, and I am just 1 guy."

My apologies Atlasman. I took that as meaning you were 1 of the guys that doesn't call in his harvests.

But in all honesty sometimes we base to much on what we see, and too little of what we actually know. I'm no Mr. Know it all believe me. Like I said before I don't agree with everything the DEC does in this state. I don't just sit back, and except things for what they are. I contact my government officials, and DEC several times in the past fighting for what I believe is right. I'm also a member of several hunting organizations. I don't just write on this forum making complaints about others comments, and knowledge.
You did hit a nerve on law enforcement, because I'm employed in law enforcement. Just becasue all your dealings with ENCON may not have been as you expected, doesn't mean they are all bad. Think first of what they do. Unfortunately every basket does have a few bad apples, but that doesn't mean all are that way.
I also have a college education in Environmental Conservation( don't say it, another college boy), but that was 18yrs ago. I recall in those days the larger deer populations was a huge concern for environmental issues, and the carrying capacity of the land. Farming in this state is becoming harder, and harder. So we don't have the farms, and crops we had 20yrs ago, to help feed the herds in the winter. It also takes many yrs for the land to recover from over browsing. So I think the herd was in need of reducing, but at this point I believe some areas have been reduced too much. But the DEC themselves admit that on their website if you take the time to look!! The DEC did get behind the times some, and the DECALS system was a step in the right direction. The DEC also faces more adversity now then in yrs past. The anti hunter movement is stronger, insurance premiums have risen due in part to more car-deer accidents, farmers are complaining more of crop damage, becasue of higher costs to farm. Private hunting land has become much more difficult to obtain, due to everyones want of their own private piece, lawsuits, liabilities, and anti hunters.
So I don't think we can blame the DEC for everything involved in the deer population. Its much more difficult then that. Look at the WHOLE picture