HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Want to start reloading
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Want to start reloading

I say spend your money well now, or spend twice later. I just got started in handloading (in fact I just finished loading my 200th 22-250 round a couple minutes ago), and I decided to go with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master kit. It has a number of essentials in one box. The RC-IV press is nothing short of outstanding. Also included is a good beam scale, a lifesaving hand priming tool (I tried to use the presses built in priming system just to see what it was like, and after 5 rounds I was very glad to have the hand priming tool), funnel, deburring/camfering tool, lube pad, etc... The only thing that comes with the Sup. Master kit that I didn't care for was the plastic loading block. It has 80 holes, but only 40 fit the 22-250 and 45acp rim size, which sucks since I like to load in batches of 50 rounds. It also sucks because if you get a single grain of powder or media into the block you end up with a case that has the leans. Out of frustration I went down to my folks house and spent some quality time with a couple peices of scrap walnut lumber and my dad's drill press. I made two 50 round blocks, one for 45acp and one for 22-250, both drilled with a forstner bit to make flat bottomed holes (the 45ACP has shallower holes than the 22-250 block, for obvoius reasons). Then, to solve the leans problem I also used a 1/4" drill bit to drill a hole the rest of the way through each hole to provide debris a way to fall through the block so the cases stand straight. Thes holes also provide the added benefit of allowing me to visually double check that I primed all the cases without removing each one from the block.

I also have spent a lot of additional money on "non-essential" tools, either to simplify my life or to improve accuracy.

Of the things that don't come in the kit I'd say some other must get tools include a vibratory case cleaner, because sizing and loading clean polished brass is easier than dirty brass. Besides that, I personally take pride in the fact that my handloads look better than factory loads.

I'd also get a pair of primer pocket brushes to clean the crud out of the primer pockets.

And a case trimmer is a good addition to your collection. I found that factory (Winchester W-W) brass in 22-250 is pretty inconsistant in length. With a trimmer you can trim all the cases to a uniform length right from the start, which not only (might) improve accuracy, but also allows you to monitor how much your cases are growing after each firing and resizing.

And probably the most essential tool to get is a caliper (dial or digital doesn't matter, whichever you prefer. Digital is easier.) Being able to measure the dimensions of cases and rounds both before and especially after loading is important.

Then, of course you can't forget the absolutely critical items, those obviously being the dies. I have RCBS dies for my .45ACP that make good ammo. I splurged and bought Redding Deluxe 3-die set for my 22-250, which is actually a good deal because you get both a FL and neck sizer as well as the seater die. The Redding dies are of outstanding quality and make very consistant rounds for my rifle. I really want to get a Redding Competition seater die, but it's not essential. I think that any subsequent CF rifle caliber I get I'll also buy Redding dies for it. I have been very impressed with them. I also have a set of Lee .44Mag dies that I don't use that just look and feel cheap. They look like they're made of aluminum instead of steel. If I should ever get a .44Mag pistol I'd still get RCBS dies for it and not use the Lee dies.

Mike