HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - neoprene vs canvas
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
northoutdoors

Default RE: neoprene vs canvas

Well I see you live in WI. I live accross the big pond in MI. I own .5 mm Neoprene. I am a smaller guy and I will tell you straight up in early goose and early season, you will sweat like a nervous piggy about to be eaten by a City person.

In mid season you will warm up if you wear them very far to walk but when you sit still you will be comfortable.

Come late season you will be very thankful you have them. You will think of how smart you were when you step out of the water and sit down and watch them stiffen from the ice forming on them.

Now I have a friend whom is a bigger build guy over 6 foot. He had a pair of .5 mm and gave them away he was always to warm in them even standing in November in the water waist deep he would have his coat undone and wiping his brow.

The real issue is what are you liek and where you hunt or live. If you are a person who is able to stay warm and comfortable in the cold naturaly then you will probably not want the .5mm if you are liek me and are always cold in anything below 40 degrees then .5mm neoprene is very nice.

As far as Canvas. I will say I prefer the Neoprene myself. Also I have heard it said you have to be careful with neoprene. Or it will tear or rip. I say it depends on what you buy. I have worn mine through the forest 3 miles. I have broken through brush in them. I have belly crawled 1/2 mile over rocks branches, Sticks, and dirt to get to the edge of a pond for geese. I have had this current pair for three years now and no tears rips or holes.

I also hunt a lot of areas with a TON of snags and root clumps hidden in the water and weeds of the ponds.