HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:47 PM
kyhuntsman
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!

Do an internet search on the KY High School Association. They have partnered with several large bow manugfacturers to introduce bow shooting into high schools. Ky has gone as far as introducing it into the classroom, by licensed teachers, not just as a club sport.

Contact several equipment manufacturers asking for assistance in acquiring materials, not freebees but instructional materials to teach people how to use their products such as Knight and Hale calls, Remington Firearms, Matthews Bows (I believe it is Matthews that is i the KY high schools), Bushnell Optics, Bill Jordan on Camoflauge, ESPN to get the names of the programs on Saturday mornings and write them asking for help.

I guarantee you are not the first high school kid trying to form a hunting club. Another great idea is to ask your local sportsman club, shooting clubs for advice, discount memberships, etc.. This would be a great way to teach the students how to handle weapons properly, you may even get someone at the gun club to teach them basic weapon care, proper safety issues, etc..

Contact your state game and wildlife office asking for assistance. I can guarantee that you will probably get someone from theri office to come in and lecture. They may even offer to teach basic firearms instructions and hunter's basic education for free to your club members.

Type up a form letter, or get a teacher to help you create one. Then obtain, from the internet, publications, etc.., the names and addresses of as many hunting manufacturers from calls to firearms to bow equipment to optics to camo clothing to bass Pro Shops to cabelas to your local gun clubs to your government wildlife offices asking for assistance in establishing the hunt club. Do NOT ask for free merchandise, but do ask for educational materials, copies of lectures, ask if you can schedule a visit from one of their representatives to give a lecture and demonstration. You will want to write their marketing department, Presidents, Vice President, CEO, etc.. any big time officer from the company. This will cost you some money to produce the letters and mail them out, but with a home pc the cost should be relatively cheap.

Whatever you do, DO NOT email them. You want your request to be on paper not electronically. It is far easier to hit the delete button than it is to throw away a letter than has been seen by their secretary. By doing a mass mailing such as this you have a greater chance to receive the help you need.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Matt