HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - baiting deer
Thread: baiting deer
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:30 PM
badshotbob
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baiting deer

Can of worms is right on this subject.

I have baited for 24 years. God willing, I will be baiting for another 24 years. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion because you still have to do many things just right to get a harvest. Granted, you probably won't be worrying about where to put that new wall mount hunting over bait, but it puts meat in the freezer. Having more than one stand, I have several with bait, and several without bait figuring I'm going to harvest meat over a pile and then trophy hunt where there is no bait. I've heard people on this site say that baiting is for the inexperienced hunter and good for the first deer and stuff like that. I say no. It's not that easy. People think that you just throw some bait down and instantly you are finding yourself having to pick the best doe or spike to shoot. It doesn't work that way. Wind, stand placement, blah blah blah all have to be a part of the hunt just as much as all the trohpy hunting I'd never hunt over bait hunters out there. Make sure it's legal in your state too.

As far as all the Whitetail additction and Deer Crack and all that crap, well it may work somewhere in the world but not for me here in MI. Good old fashioned corn, apples, sugar beats and carrots works every time. More economical than all that crap too. I'm not the final say by any means, just my .$02.