HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bird Dog Advice
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:35 AM
birdhunt

Default RE: Bird Dog Advice

My advice would be to decide first, what type of dog do I want?
a.) Pointing Breed?
b.) Flushing Breed?

Once this has been decided, the games begin!

What breed of dog do I want?
a.) Pointing Breeds
1. English Pointer
2. English Setter
3. Brittany
4. German Shorthair
5. German Wirehair Pointer
6. Wiemeraner (spelling?)
7. Vizla
8. Pointing Lab
9. Etc., etc., etc.,
b.) Flushing Breeds
1. Labs
2. Chessies
3. Springers
4. Cockers
5. Etc., etc., etc.,

Once you have decided Type and narrowed the choice down to a couple of Breeds, I would suggest you get in touch with some nearby breed clubs. Attend AKC hunting tests, field trials, shows, shoot to retrieves etc. to see these breeds perform first hand. Talk to as many owners of these breeds as you can.

Once you have decided on a breed, join a local breed club, if there is not one around you, I'm sure there must be some type of an all breed organization nearby. Attend the events and members days, volunteer to plant birds, serve on a committee etc. You will gain confidence by your involvement. Next thing you know, you will be entering your dog in hunt tests, local trials etc. Once you win a ribbon, the hook is set and you have the desire (or disease!).

You will get another dog, maybe try different breeds, be gone every weekend, put lots of miles on your vehicle and sometimes even sleep in it! Sooner or later, and most likely latter, if you don't find a cure for this disease, you will have a dog and companion that you can be proud of, maybe even a National Champion!!!

If your lucky (or infected) enough for that to happen, don't loose site of why you wanted a bird dog to begin with. No matter what Type or Breed, try to remember why you started this lifetime journey (for some of us) in the first place.

Good Luck