Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bird Dog Advice

Old 01-06-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Bird Dog Advice

You guys are probably tired of hearing from me, but I am really excited about bird hunting now that I have had some success. I want to get a pup to train, but I need advice. What kind of steps can I take before I get one to accomodate it. (kennel, quail coops, pigeon coops, etc.) Also what dog do you think are best for quail and grouse? I am fairly new with bird hunting and bird dogs, so any tips you can give me will be helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bird Dog Advice

I can assure you that for quail and grouse, in your part of the country, the English Setter is the traditional bird dog. If you need to know where to get one from, let me know. I know a few guys back in KY that breed some of the finest bird dogs on the planet, bar none.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:35 AM

My advice would be to decide first, what type of dog do I want?
a.) Pointing Breed?
b.) Flushing Breed?

Once this has been decided, the games begin!

What breed of dog do I want?
a.) Pointing Breeds
1. English Pointer
2. English Setter
3. Brittany
4. German Shorthair
5. German Wirehair Pointer
6. Wiemeraner (spelling?)
7. Vizla
8. Pointing Lab
9. Etc., etc., etc.,
b.) Flushing Breeds
1. Labs
2. Chessies
3. Springers
4. Cockers
5. Etc., etc., etc.,

Once you have decided Type and narrowed the choice down to a couple of Breeds, I would suggest you get in touch with some nearby breed clubs. Attend AKC hunting tests, field trials, shows, shoot to retrieves etc. to see these breeds perform first hand. Talk to as many owners of these breeds as you can.

Once you have decided on a breed, join a local breed club, if there is not one around you, I'm sure there must be some type of an all breed organization nearby. Attend the events and members days, volunteer to plant birds, serve on a committee etc. You will gain confidence by your involvement. Next thing you know, you will be entering your dog in hunt tests, local trials etc. Once you win a ribbon, the hook is set and you have the desire (or disease!).

You will get another dog, maybe try different breeds, be gone every weekend, put lots of miles on your vehicle and sometimes even sleep in it! Sooner or later, and most likely latter, if you don't find a cure for this disease, you will have a dog and companion that you can be proud of, maybe even a National Champion!!!

If your lucky (or infected) enough for that to happen, don't loose site of why you wanted a bird dog to begin with. No matter what Type or Breed, try to remember why you started this lifetime journey (for some of us) in the first place.

Good Luck
Old 01-22-2004, 08:06 AM

Are you wanting a companion along with a hunting dog? Do you have small children? How often is the dog going to be with your family? Inside/outside or both? These are also questions you might want to consider before purchasing a dog. Certain breeds are better in these situations than others. It is not just what is the best breed, but what is the best breed for your situation also.