HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowtech camo film dip problem
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 04:37 PM
JeffB
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech camo film dip problem

The only BowTech I ever had this problem on was my 2000 Extreme Solo, and it was awful on that bow. None of my other BowTechs have had any problems with the dip rubbing off, though I've seen it on a couple other people's BowTechs, as well as just about everyone else who uses a dip.

As for the 2004's:I've seen these white spots folks are talking about, and it looks to me like the dip sheet itself is fading out, or there is some liquid being dripped on them as they are drying (which would be a QC issue, like the workers are trying to go too fast, etc). Colorworks is still doing alot of the dipping right now for BowTech because the demand for the 2004s has exceeded their expectations by far, but they are doing some of their own dipping too. As to how to tell whom did what, I have no idea.

As for the Treeleaf finish on the HCA bows BD, you must be one of the chosen few , as that finish was AWFUL and always cracked and peeled off...especially on the machined riser bows (vs. the cast ones). HCA is one of the worst offenders IME. Of the 15 or so HCAs I owned personally I would be conservative saying at least 10 of them had that problem. Golden Eagle was pretty bad as well.

I've seen a couple of firearms utilizing the SS process (at the Trebark Store near Roanoke VA, as that is my old hunting grounds) and I didn't think it was any better than most bow film dips I've seen. There are still imperfections, though the "top coat" they add may (or may not) be better.

AFAIC, like Matt alluded to, dipping is pretty, but that's about it. It's not particularly durable, and neither is the "paint" style PSE & some others has used over the years or continubne to use. The best camo finish for durability is an andodized one, and I was really sad to see Hoyt stop doing that. Of course that process caused them massive delays and lost sales. It's just not worth the hassle from a business standpoint.