Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech camo film dip problem >

Bowtech camo film dip problem

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech camo film dip problem

Old 01-04-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Bowtech camo film dip problem

Has anything been done to improve the durability of the film dip finish on Bowtech bows, I own a 4 month old 2003 Pro 40 Dually that is already wearing through on the sharp edges and the front of the grip. I also own a 10 year old High Country Ultra Extreme that came from the factory with everything camo dipped(including cams) by a company called Color Works that is still after 10 years holding up better than my 3 month old Bowtech bow, so this problem should be put to bed.
High quality to go along with high price means that everything is done right, maybe some of you Bowtech boys will join in and send a message that there is a drastic need for improvement in this department. Also I know its early but is anyone yet having problems with the finish on a 2004. I intend on purchasing a 2004 Pro 40, however I would like to know that I will not experience the same problems.
Thanks and sorry for venting
BD
Old 01-04-2004, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Bowtech camo film dip problem

Well, I have heard of the problems but havn't seen them like some others have! I have a 2002 MightyMite which I am currently selling and there is a few minor scratches but other than that nothing out of the ordinary! I have heard guys complain about the camo around the grip so I would also like to see a more sturdy camo put on the bows!

The 04 Liberty I shot at my pro-shop looked great as far as the camo goes. Some guys have noticed a few small imperfections but I didn't notice it. I will tell you a little more whenever my Liberty arrives, hopefully this comming week
Old 01-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think its more a problem with the dip material itself than a specific company or process........My Mathews and Hoyt Tec bows experienced the same thing. Its definitely a different process from what we saw on bows 10 years ago with painted risers. I think its the price you pay for photo realistic camo patterns. BowTech doesn't do anything different from any other bow company that has their risers film dipped. Modern dipping is great looking but it just isn't extremely durable with a constant rubbing.
The way you carry your bow will also determine how well the dip holds up on the front of the grip.......if you carry the bow upside down by the grip (Front of the riser in your palm) the acids and oils on your hand rubbing constantly is going to wear out ANY film dip.
I saw a Mathews Q2 the other day that was bare in front of the grip. My 2003 Pat Dually showed a lot of wear as well because I shot it for 3D a bit as well on hot sweaty summer days as hunting, and I carry my bow exactly like I described.
Until a company comes up with a better dipping material or a photo realistic anodizing process grip wear will always be a problem on any bow.

Could you imagine a photo realistic anodized riser!? How cool would that be?
I must admit that my favortie camo risers were the Hoyts such as those found on the Hoyt Striker before they too went to dipping.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:54 AM

Matt the 10 year old High Country I own is a realistic looking (Treeleaf) film dipped bow and I have not babied it over the last few years as I normally would, yet the film dipping remains in excellent condition. I dont know wether other companies are experiencing the same problems however it may be an industry wide issue on wether they have chanced the film composition or its application method over the years.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:18 PM

I looked at several '04's a couple of weeks ago at Mark's Outdoors in B'ham AL ! Several bows I saw had places where the film was rubbed or chipped off on brand new bows ! It may be the way they were handled (???)......but it worried me that the film wasn't very tough ! It looks like they use a light colored primer under the film and the camo film had come off down to that primer !!

Is that the process Bowtech guys ? I don't want to spread any mis-information, but 4-5 bows I looked at had white looking spots(chips) on the risers !
Old 01-04-2004, 02:22 PM

There might be some foreign material in the air supply like oil that might be causing a problem in the base coat before the film dip is applied. I have seen a few spots on the wife's new Patriot where the film didn't take. These spots are only the size of the head of a straight pin, not a big deal with me.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:20 PM

I just went over to the Trebark site, another side of thier business is Second Skin camo film dipping. If you read thier process they first film dip and then give it a clear coat of automotive grade solvent which they claim gives the coating its durability. I dont know if this would give the item unwanted glare, but its the system they use to film coat hunting equiptment.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:30 PM
tm
Fork Horn

You can help this by using a paste wax furniture polish on any bow. Just apply it-I like 2 or 3 coats on the areas that wear- and don't buff it out. Really helps.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only BowTech I ever had this problem on was my 2000 Extreme Solo, and it was awful on that bow. None of my other BowTechs have had any problems with the dip rubbing off, though I've seen it on a couple other people's BowTechs, as well as just about everyone else who uses a dip.

As for the 2004's:I've seen these white spots folks are talking about, and it looks to me like the dip sheet itself is fading out, or there is some liquid being dripped on them as they are drying (which would be a QC issue, like the workers are trying to go too fast, etc). Colorworks is still doing alot of the dipping right now for BowTech because the demand for the 2004s has exceeded their expectations by far, but they are doing some of their own dipping too. As to how to tell whom did what, I have no idea.

As for the Treeleaf finish on the HCA bows BD, you must be one of the chosen few , as that finish was AWFUL and always cracked and peeled off...especially on the machined riser bows (vs. the cast ones). HCA is one of the worst offenders IME. Of the 15 or so HCAs I owned personally I would be conservative saying at least 10 of them had that problem. Golden Eagle was pretty bad as well.

I've seen a couple of firearms utilizing the SS process (at the Trebark Store near Roanoke VA, as that is my old hunting grounds) and I didn't think it was any better than most bow film dips I've seen. There are still imperfections, though the "top coat" they add may (or may not) be better.

AFAIC, like Matt alluded to, dipping is pretty, but that's about it. It's not particularly durable, and neither is the "paint" style PSE & some others has used over the years or continubne to use. The best camo finish for durability is an andodized one, and I was really sad to see Hoyt stop doing that. Of course that process caused them massive delays and lost sales. It's just not worth the hassle from a business standpoint.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:58 PM

Jeff is this the first year that Bowtech has done thier own in house film dipping and if so was Colorworks the company that had done the dipping for Bowtech in past years ?

Quick Reply: Bowtech camo film dip problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.