HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200
Old 12-29-2003, 10:57 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200

The Zeiss Conquest is very comparable to the Loopy Vari X III and to my eye I saw no difference in clarity or brightness in the field. I do like the fast focus and fixed eye relief on the zeiss but wouldn't say it is going to be brighter than what you own today.

The Busnell Elite 4200 is compareable in brightness and clarity to the Vari XIII. (as I have both) I don't find to track as true in adjustments but it works very well for the money at almost 1/2 the price here in canada. The big knock on the Bushnell Elite 50mm is weight, length, styling and critical eye relief (if a concern). I have had no problems to speak of with the elite series in terms of field reliablity though and would reccomend the product if you can get by on the few short comings I mentioned. I agree though the illuminated reticle is a not a draw to me either and would look for a model with just the regular reticle. This scope would fall into the nice for the money bracket for me but certainly not the best available.

Nikon are clear and bright, but I had a horror of a time with a Monarch and it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for reliablity and CS. I haven't looked through the Gold version, so I can't really comment. I have heard others sing their praise and yet others curse their CS, so I am really not sure what the real scoop is on nikon. For myself I am in the "once bitten twice shy!!!!!" category with Nikon[:@]

Swarovski Aline are very nice and in all honesty would be my pick for the next top quality scope I buy. I had a chance to peer through 3x10x42 this fall and loved it. I tested it against my VarixIII and found it as bright and clearer in fading light at the range, all with a smaller objective and package. I haven't heard a bad thing about a swarovski product, as such I would have no problems ordering one as they aren't available in our store fronts either.

I am by no means an expert but have looked through a lot of glass and IMHO the only one that may offer you a significant change is the Swarovski. Although if Nikon has improved or I just got a lemon, they do seem to be a very bright scope and priced well here in canada.