Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200 >

Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200

Old 12-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200

I’m going to be buying a new scope in the very near future and was looking to see if I could get some feedback before going out and spending my $$. This scope would mostly be used for tree stand hunting in low light conditions and that’s why I would like a large objective lens with 30mm main tube.

I was looking at the Nikon Gold2.5-10 x 50mm or 56mm c/w 30mm tube. I had looked at the 2 scopes at the store and was impressed on how bright and clear they were.

I had also looked at the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-1 0 x 44mm c/w 1” tube and found to be not much difference from the Nikons as mentioned above.

I had looked at the Zeiss Conquest 3-12 x 56mm c/w 30mm tube but was not impressed when looking at low power. It was like looking thru a black tube with a small image at the other end.

I would maybe consider the Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10 x 50mm c/w 30mm tube but had not wanted to have the illuminated dot reticle.

Know before you all start with telling me to look at getting a Leupold, I all ready have a 3-9 x 50mm c/w 30mm European model. I would like a different brand so I could compare for my self on the performance under low light conditions.

I would have loved to look at a Swarovski but no one has any in town and I’m not going to order one and be disappointed as I did with the Zeiss Conquest 3-12 x 56mm.

Any info on the scopes mentioned would be apreciated]
Old 12-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Comments on Nikon Gold, Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell 4200

To start with some scopes with 30mm tubes(leupold LPS for example) use the same internals as 1" scopes.Secondly 30mm tubes are used to gain more adjustment and strength and not to increase light transmission.Thirdly the worst place to compare scopes is indoors with artificial lighting such as in a store which unfortunately is the only place where most people have the opportunity compare them.You just can't see how the scopes will be in low light hunting conditions so you can't really properly assess them as most scopes will appear very similar in a building or in artificial light.The most meaningful comparisons by far will be under actuall hunting conditions in low light situations but unfortunately many people do not get this opportunity.Brightness comes from objective lens size ,lenses and lens coatings and a superior lens coatings can make a scope with a smaller objective brighter than a scope with a larger objective but lesser quality lens coatings.I have owned and compared the varixiii's,conquests and swarovski a-lines and I find the swarovskis ever so slightly brighter than the conquest and the varixiii is noticeably less bright than either of these two.In fact I find my swarovski 3x10x42's every bit as bright as the 3.5x10x50 varixiii as the superior swarovski lens coatings make up for the leupolds larger objective lens.I have also owned a swarovski 2.2x9x42 scope with 30mm tube and it was no brighter than the 3x10x42 swarovski scopes with 1" tubes that I now use on all of my hunting rifles.The bottom line is that the superior european lenses and coatings combined with a reasonably sized objective lens will result in a bright scope and a 30mm main tube is not necessary or even beneficial as far as brightness is concerned.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:58 PM

Just like Stubblejumper stated, the 30mm is not going to gain any more light for you than the 1" inch. The biggest factor is the lens and coating quality, along with the number of coatings. I am not familiar with the Zeiss or Swarvoski, but have looked thru the Nikon Golds. And I can say that I am very impressed with them. They are very bright and clear. Another thing to consider is that typically with a 30mm tube the internal parts are stronger and more durable, due to the larger diameter size.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Zeiss Conquest is very comparable to the Loopy Vari X III and to my eye I saw no difference in clarity or brightness in the field. I do like the fast focus and fixed eye relief on the zeiss but wouldn't say it is going to be brighter than what you own today.

The Busnell Elite 4200 is compareable in brightness and clarity to the Vari XIII. (as I have both) I don't find to track as true in adjustments but it works very well for the money at almost 1/2 the price here in canada. The big knock on the Bushnell Elite 50mm is weight, length, styling and critical eye relief (if a concern). I have had no problems to speak of with the elite series in terms of field reliablity though and would reccomend the product if you can get by on the few short comings I mentioned. I agree though the illuminated reticle is a not a draw to me either and would look for a model with just the regular reticle. This scope would fall into the nice for the money bracket for me but certainly not the best available.

Nikon are clear and bright, but I had a horror of a time with a Monarch and it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for reliablity and CS. I haven't looked through the Gold version, so I can't really comment. I have heard others sing their praise and yet others curse their CS, so I am really not sure what the real scoop is on nikon. For myself I am in the "once bitten twice shy!!!!!" category with Nikon[:@]

Swarovski Aline are very nice and in all honesty would be my pick for the next top quality scope I buy. I had a chance to peer through 3x10x42 this fall and loved it. I tested it against my VarixIII and found it as bright and clearer in fading light at the range, all with a smaller objective and package. I haven't heard a bad thing about a swarovski product, as such I would have no problems ordering one as they aren't available in our store fronts either.

I am by no means an expert but have looked through a lot of glass and IMHO the only one that may offer you a significant change is the Swarovski. Although if Nikon has improved or I just got a lemon, they do seem to be a very bright scope and priced well here in canada.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the information... I’m still not quite sure what I’m getting but I’m leaning towards the Nikons Gold ... I went back and had a peek at them again and looked at Nikon Gold with the 42mm objective lens... I was just as impressed on how clear and bright this scope was compared to the others and the price was also good... Hopefully if I get a Nikon I will not get a lemon and have to deal with Customer Service as I know some of you have had problems with them in the past......... Thanks again –