HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bowhunting geese
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2002, 10:34 AM
ArcticBowMan
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bowhunting geese

KoBear, I've spot and stalk goose and duck hunted the last two years now. Between me and my hunting buddy, we've taken 4 geese and 3 ducks. He's also taken 3 other ducks on different occasions, shooting one on the wing as it was landing into decoys.
They set up like normal shotgun hunters, and one guy had a shotgun, my buddy had a bow. For ducks that would come in and prepare for landing, Tom would shoot at him with the bow. If he missed, the other guy would take aim as the duck started to head out and take him down with the rifle. He lost a ton of arrows doing this, but had a blast and was all worth it when he connected.

The other way we've hunted geese and ducks is spot and stalk in either ponds or on the tundra. The shots are usually pretty long, and you'll want to throw on a adder point or washer behind your broadheads so the arrow doesn't snake under ground and get lost. I've shot one goose and one duck in the wing with just an adder point, and it did not even hinder their ability to break camp and fly away. Broadheads are the way to go on waterfowl. It gets expensive though!

Good luck!