HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Problem or Not?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Fran49829

Default RE: Problem or Not?

Thanks,

The gun now works good.

I made a little tool which connects to the end of an old ramrod and alows me to clean out the little "hole" when needed ( it works great).

I also switched nipples from the original to a Knight Red Hot which has a wider channel but the same size hole.

Using Triple 7 FFG I fired 20 rounds without a missfire. Sometimes I cleaned between each shot and sometimes I fired 5 in a row before cleaning. Cleanng was done with 50% Simple Green sprayed on a patch, run thru twice and 2 new patches to dry it out. Sometimes I fired a cap before loading.

When the little "hole" at the end of the barrel begins to plug up I will get a slight hesitation or pause before the charge goes off which means it is definitely time to clean the barrel.

When I target shoot I develop a certain regimin of cleaning the barrel between each shot.

For those who are interested I believe I was creating a missfire by cleaning the barrel with a patch covered in
Crisco between each shot. I am now sure this Crisco was
plugging up the little "hole". I am also sure it would work even better if I went to FFFG powder.

Tomorrow I plan to sight it in and work on groups. Thanks again.