HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ready to try it
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 03:43 AM
c903

Default RE: ready to try it

moose1915:

Additional advice. Do not over-bow yourself. Pull different bow lengths and draw-weights until you find a setup that allows to obtain a comfortable anchor without having to bend the riser to get that last inch pulled back.

Many that are new to the stick commonly pick a bow that is too short for their draw-length and/or too much draw-weight. The bow ends up stacking horribly and the shooter ends up believing that he or she was not meant to shoot a recurve/longbow, or that recurves and longbows are to archaic to shoot accurately.

My nephew bought his first recurve last year. He told me was having a hard time learning to shoot the bow and to shoot it accurately. When I met with him, I found that the new bow was a 56"-50#@ 28". He pulls a 32-inch arrow, the same as I do. The damn bow was stacking before he could get near his anchor. I tried the bow and had the same problem. Additionally, not only had the shop sold him the wrong bow for him, they sold him 29" shafts.

I put him on my two 64" recurves; one is a 45# and the other is a 48#. Shooting my shafts, and introducing him to the basics, I had him shooting comfortably and accurately within a short period. He is now buying a 64" recurve @ 48#.

The same situation also occurred with a friend this year. He also has a 32" draw. His new recurve is/was a 62"-45#@28". It stacks on him. He shot my 64"@48# and loved the comfort that just 2 inches provided. His new bow came in a few days ago. However, it is a 68"@48# longbow.

I found out very quickly when I started shooting recurves, that a 64" bow is my minimum length for best comfort of anchor and hold. I may be able to drop to a 62" on the custom bow I am going to have made.