HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - passing down from relatives
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 12:03 PM
thelastboyscout

Default passing down from relatives

this quote brought up a good topic

neb.buckhunter:
There are those who have been passed down ideas from generation to generation and they will probably pass along the information to their kids/grandkids.

i have had the opportunity to hunt with both of my grandfather's and also my my uncles, and my father. each one of them hunts in a little different way.

my grandfather on my dad's side hunted on his farmland in a shangy and just waited for the amish to push one to him.

my grandfather on my mom's side was a walker, he walked and walked and walked.... i was 13 and he was 70 something and i was almost bauling halfway through the hunt i was so cold and tired.

my uncles scout on my grandparents farm (one built a house on the land and tends the farm now that my grandfather's gone) and only go out jest when it's that time of the day and sit in the stand.

my dad is a stander. he never sits, he never walks (well to and from the truck), he just picks a spot somewhat close to the truck where there is a couple intersections and waits.

i am a walk, sit, and stand guy.
depending on the time of the day, for instance in the morning, i'll sit in a good spot and try to get them coming to and from the feeding areas to the beds. i'll be there for about an hour or so and then i'll get up and walk for about 100 yards and stop, look, and listen for about 15 minutes. doing this throughout the morning. about 11:30 i'll sit down because hunter's often leave the woods for lunch and they move the deer around that way. after about 1 pm or so i'll get up and do my 100 yards at time thing. then about 3 pm i head towards my first spot.... two reasons, close to the truck and might catch them heading in and out of their beds.

i've gotten a deer in everyway that i just mentioned....so they all work for me.

i guess i gotta little of everybody in me huh??