HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - newbie needing help finding squirrels
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 02:26 PM
Fredd
Spike

Default newbie needing help finding squirrels

This is my first year hunting so i'm starting out with squirrel and need some help. I've been out 3 times this year and i'm using a Ruger 10/22 but that's irrelevant because i haven't seen any squirrels yet! Actually the first time out, i spotted one in a tree in my first 10 minutes and thought "oh, this will be easy". Shot and missed and that was the last squirrel i saw. Its' frustrating because i crossed paths with deer hunters a couple times who said they saw squirrels out there on the ground but i didn't see any.

Like i said, i'm new at this but i've read a lot about it and also talked to a lot of people to figure out the best technique. I start between 8-9AM, walk in the woods until i see some trees with nuts then sit down for 45 minutes to an hour and just wait. After an hour i go to another spot. I THINK i hear some squirrels occasionally but i can never see them. Even scanning the area with binoculars. I think they're there but just can't see them. I've read the tips and tricks section for help. Is there a knack to looking around for squirrel so you can spot them?

Am i doing something wrong? Is it better to walk around slowly then sit in one place?
will it be easier when the leaves fall off the trees? I'm thinking they'll be easier to spot then.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm usually out there about 2 1/2 hours. I'd stay out longer if i saw some action but it gets frustrating.