HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dirty Thirty
Thread: Dirty Thirty
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 10:27 AM
Ernie Bishop
Spike

Sunday afternoon I went out with a couple of guys from church. One needed to do load development and chronographing and the other one wanted me to chronograph a couple of guns with my Labradar. I wanted to do some drop confirmations with the Dirty Thirty/308 Winchester. We had winds from the north west, which was a quartering headwind for us. I was shooting to the north. After the guys got all of their stuff done, Glen spotted for me while I started doing some drop confirmations. The quartering headwind noticeably pushed my bullets down as I extended distances, but I still had fun.
Even at 300 yards it took me more elevation to hit my target, then it should’ve. By 400 yards I had a sense of how much I should add at 500 yards. At 500 yards my first shot at the 10-inch diamond target was close to a center hit.

The 5-inch square target to the right was hit by a guy shooting a 7mm SAUM rifle with 195 Berger’s.
I did drop confirmations out to 800 yards, but with wind continuing to pick up, I stop there. We shot Glenn’s 41 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, and had some fun. I decided I wanted to shoot one more shot with my 308 Winchester XP. I picked the upper right small dot on the big rectangular target at 500 yards.

It always feels good, when you just have a sense of what it should be and you are right, and the shot is very close to where you were aiming at a mid-range distance.