HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stumped. Need some help.
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 01:07 PM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Default Stumped. Need some help.

Hi everyone, I’m very stumped right now. Here’s my situation.

I bought the following kit and built it.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...ucky-rifle-kit

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love shooting it. Problem is, I’m having severe accuracy issues. I positioned my target at 100 yards. Used a round ball and pre lubed patches. 70 grains of powder is what the manual said is most accurate, which is what I’ve been using.

It seems like no matter what I do, with or without wind, the ball misses the target at least one out of three shots. The other shots have terrible grouping.

I have no idea what the problem is. I double checked my aiming. I double checked my powder measure. I’m doing everything right as far as I know.

I don’t know what the problem is and why I it’s so inaccurate, though.

Some more details. I replaced the number 11 nipple with a musket nipple. I’m using Pyrodex RS powder FFG equivalent. Twist rate of the barrel is 1:66.

I really want to take this gun in September for a deer hunt, but I need to be as accurate as possible. If it doesn’t work out with this gun, I will take my in-line.

From what I described, and the details I have given, can anybody tell me what I’m doing wrong? Why is it so inaccurate?

If you need more details, let me know, and I will post them.

I’ve been working on this for two weeks with no success. It’s a little frustrating.

Jared