HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 11:30 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rockport
You like other factory triggers better or are you comparing to custom triggers?
Originally Posted by excalibur43
I reload my straight walled rifle cartridges, so they are a lot cheaper for me to shoot, but I still enjoy taking my 220 to the woods. As far as practicing, I don't. I bench sight them in, and that's it. They are ready to hunt with.
Originally Posted by rockport
That is pretty much what I would do. I'm sure I'd be better if I shot the gun more.
Rock regarding the trigger I much prefer a standard trigger over the Accutrigger. They are great on the range but I don't like them during hunting situations especially when I have to take a running shot (please no flak on that. I only do it when I know I can make a clean shot.). There are companies out there like MCarbo that make a simple upgrade for Savage rifles that take about 10 mins to install and make the trigger simply beautiful.
Original OP asked about the Savage 220 to which I responded. If a straight walled cartridge were allowed I would go with a 350 Legend or 375 Win or 45-70 but that wasn't the question.