HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting Outfitter Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 12:00 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

The first thing the OP needs to know is what type of elk does he want. And before anyone thinks that is a dumb thing to ask they need to understand that there are outfitters in every elk state that can easily get someone onto a cow elk and then there are outfitters that are really good on average sized bulls and then there are the very few outfitters that specialize on big trophy bulls. Each of these types of outfitters will hunt in different ways and in different areas. And the OP needs to decide which state he wants to go in since they have different regulations and season. The OP also needs to decide is he wants a true wilderness hunt with wall tents and pack horses or if he would be content on a ranch hunt where he may stay in a local motel. Or does he want the full monty and go on a backpack hunt in a wilderness area.

In other words, the OP has not given enough info for anybody to give them a serious recommendation. As for me, and I grew up in elk country, I have always thought that someone should focus on a cow elk for their first elk. First off there are a lot more cows than bulls so you have a better chance of filling the tag and a cow is a whole lot easier to handle than a big bull. If a hunter finds out that can't handle the carcass of a cow elk then they are well advised to not shoot any really big bulls. Just my 2 cents worth.