HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm considering taking up air gunning for doves.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:14 AM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

Farmers might fear that powder guns BANG too loudly around their livestock. Agricultural pests are often shot inside barnyards and sometimes inside barns. Powder guns might spook the animals like cows and horses. I like the notion of using air guns to pick off doves on the perch because this requires no wingshooting skills anyway since I'm already proficient in (powder) rifle marksmanship. An air gun inside of 100 yards might not shoot as flat as a powder rifle inside that range, however. Hold-over compensation might be more crittical with air gunning.

Speaking of trajectory and ballistics, what is the maximum point blank range for an air rifle with a velocity just below the sound barrier (950 fps) on dove-size targets depending on the how the gun is zeroed in? Maximum point blank range means there are no hold-over/under adjustments in aim required to dispatch a sitting dove humanely within that range. A dove on the perch will likely be aimed at center of its body mass preferably in the breast area. Watching several dove-shooting videos with scoped air guns, the sitting birds seem to be taken inside of 50 yards anyway. This is typically the outer range for wingshooting fowl with shotguns.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 10-29-2021 at 06:19 AM.