HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where to start?
Thread: Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 02:53 PM
IBMyke
Administrator

Default Where to start?

Hey HuntingNet!

I thought I might pick your brains for a little advice. Years back I went target shooting with my father. It was the first time I had fired a firearm and it was pretty fun. I was little on edge as my dad just sort of jumped into the hobby and made some pretty careless moves. Between no trigger discipline and pointing the barrel towards me and my brother (the weapon was unloaded, but still). This is coming from a guy who typically likes video games, movies and other media based hobbies and even I could see where he was going wrong. Anyway, I'd actually like to get more involved with firearms myself, mostly for target practice/range shooting as I don't see myself hunting (for now).

My initial thoughts are to go to local range that has classes on firearm safety and start there. There is one nearby that has both so I'll be looking into that. Beyond that, if I end up really enjoying myself I'd like to purchase a pistol. So to that end, what are some pistols that are decent for newbies like me and maybe won't break the bank? Keep in mind, I am located in California, so this may all be a moot point anyway, still though, couldn't hurt to find out for when I move. Don't like the weather here.

Thanks!

-IB Myke