HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader has me stumped
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 04:39 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Did you do the simple test I suggested? if not you don't know, like I said its like reasoning with democrats!
Originally Posted by mrbb
I never said metal doesn't absorb oils(if your referring to me that I did)

I was just saying that oils and like lubricants can attract and hold dirt and un burned powder, which in return
narrows the diameter of the inside of the bore, which will lead to harder ,loadings!
and I never meant any offence to you RR< and am sorry if you took it that I did, wasn't my view or point! at all !
was just saying there are better bullet sabot powder combo's that can be used that don't require any Bore butter to make loading easier!
Geez RR I never saw you getting so pissy. Talk about being thin skinned. Bore butter is OK but there are so many more and better lubricants out there today. To apply BB to a sabot is not a fix and could make matters worse. Get the right sabot/bullet combo and avoid the hassles. It would be much better if muzzleloader manufacturers had tighter tolerances on their bore diameters like centerfire rifles.
Exactly what I said. BB will only make things worse with successive shots. Fouling will adhere to the BB on the walls of the bore. Yes it will be softer but will still be there. This will make the next loading tighter and adding more BB to the sabot will continue to add more gunk for the fouling to cling to. Its best to use a sabot/bullet combo that is tight but not overly so and swab between shots. Swabbing with a damp patch of 1:1 Windex and alcohol does this nicely. I carry mine in a small spray bottle when shooting at the range. Swabbing will get your bore fairly clean so it will make the bore more closely resemble a clean bore which would be your first shot during a hunt. With the right bullet/sabot combo you should have no problem loading a second shot which should suffice during most hunting situations.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-28-2021 at 04:49 PM.