HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader has me stumped
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 07:19 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
You folks who think lubricants do not penetrate the surface of steel, that shows what you know about it, to prove the point, wipe a blued rifle down with gum cutter 2+2 and let dry, then hit it with an oilcloth and you can visually see how much oil the steel absorbs. I'm done posting in this forum, like trying to explain things to democrats!
RR you are knowledgeable about centerfire firearms but apparently you may need a bit more education on modern muzzleloaders. I did not see anyone saying that oil is not absorbed into the steel. Actually I myself don't think it does, at least not very deep. Rather it bonds to the surface of the metal creating a protective barrier much like paint. Seasoning of a bore with bore butter just does not happen. Just no way a bore can get that hot for that long for bore butter to accomplish such a task.
Did you ever try to season a new fry pan or reseason one that someone scrubbed with steel wool ? It takes hours in a super hot oven (400*+) to even start the process.
As I said before I thought the same until I saw the light. And I've been shooting muzzleloaders and using BB way back in the early 70s. So please just accept the fact that you were incorrect. No reason to take your ball and run home.