HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lever Action Advantage?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 PM
Vapodog
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong here.....I like lever guns.....a lot.....but learned a very long time ago that it's far better to get off a good first shot than have a fast follow up shot. I see many lever action fans push the first shot too quick just to make use of the "quick" follow up shot.....and this is counter productive. There's a reason why the modern bolt rifle is king today!

If you really want a lever gun, the Henry is a fine specimen but go with the .44 Magnum or as said earlier the .45-70 as both are superior to the .45 colt and by quite a margin. That said, I'd far prefer a semi auto shotgun in either 20 ga or 12 ga and add a slug barrel. Accuracy is surprisingly good with cylinder bore chokes and even improved cylinder chokes.....lots of power and if quick follow up shots are desirable the semi auto shotgun will beat the lever gun hands down.

I've made quite a few 20 ga bolt action slug guns from Mossberg bolt action shotguns. Cut the barrel to 20 or 22 inches and don't add a new choke tube......shoot it as is. Accuracy will be excellent for deer to 100 yards. Yes, you need to add some iron sights but in the end you'll have a fine deer hunting gun. As to ammo availability, I just bought 100 rounds of 7/8 OZ 20 ga slug ammo and I'll put these bolt action slug guns up against any lever gun for deer to 100 yards.
Let's face it....for as much as I like my Savage 99, my Marlin 39-A and my Browning model 65 in .218 Bee the lever gun, once the king of the deer hunting woods, time has passed. There are better choices if you want Bambi in the freezer.