HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rats
Thread: Rats
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 02:49 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Default Rats

My air rifle is a FWB 300 about 7.5 joules or 55 foot pounds. I'm having a rough time killing Rats, after a solid body hit they always make it into the bushes and/or their burrow. I'd like to figure out a way to DRT them. I've been experimenting with different pellets all claiming to be the answer. I'm thinking the answer might be a quick expanding pellet. A soft lead hollow point might be the answer, it needs to expand quickly because my rifle is on the slow side. Most of my shots are at runners, so headshots are iffy. Any recommendations, I've got a decent collection of pellets, at least six types so far that have me underwhelmed. Likely a couple of thousand that I may eventually use for target practice, but pretty much useless otherwise. Last Fall it was mice, we had a bunch of them, this Spring it is Rats, at least four generations running around here. I've been trapping and shooting them and haven't made much of a dent in the population so far, methinks they are breeding faster than I can kill them. My Cat is AWOL I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since the Rats took over. My Terriers are too old to catch many Rats, one is fifteen the other seventeen. I'm anti-poison especially with the dogs running around, if they don't get into the poison the likelihood of them eating a poisoned Rat is high. Any help is appreciated.