HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 10:30 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

as far as muzzleloaders go, inline are the easiest to use IMO, the most modern designs, are most user friendly and optic ready
there are Ton's of different makes and models and all are SAFE when used right, just like any firearm is
features
I like , in a inline, will be either stainless steel or at least a good coating on metal parts(be it cera cote or like specialty coatings
as ALL black powder is highly corrosive, so the better protected the metal is, from it the better!
I like easy access to breech plugs, and I prefer 24-26 inch barrels
since I am Not a BIG fan of black powder in its main variety, I
as I there for like the more modern versions/substitutes of it, like Black horn 209
which can be used in SOME muzzleloaders, so, that would be a requirement for me, to be able to use it

it is far less corrosive, and doesn't have the BIG cloud of smoke allowing you to see your target/game WAY better and follow where it goes after a shot , IMO< making a more reliable /higher odds of recovery!
not to mention it doesn't stick like rotten eggs so much(sulfur smell)
and since again its NOT as corrosive, its not as critical to be cleaning things after shooting or worries about transferring the Black powder onto other things when handling or shooting it (as on fingers and transferred onto other items)

I am also, more a modern guy I like more modern sights(fiber optic open sights) and or better yet a GOOD scope on things!

BUT these options I LIKE
may limit the muzzle loader you can legally use pending your state rules on things and what season!

CVA, Traditions, Thompson center, are the most common ( IMO) and have offering from low budget to higher end models
making the odds if EVER need a part , there most likely easier to get one for it!

some models been about for a LONG time and as such there is a reason many have stood the test of time
take that as you wish

the name of the game in inlines. and or Muzzleloaders in general is being 100 % consistent, with your loading and being
100& SAFE and knowing what being SAFE means
and then storing your powder RIGHT, as storage matters when dealing with loose powder!

after that its again like any other firearm, you need to be proficient and KNOW your limits on what you able to hit reliably and in the range the weapons capable of cleanly killing at!
and that comes from learning HOW to shoot accurately , and knowing what the caliber /rifle can do on paper and SHOOTING at ranges you will shoot at game, so you KNOW you can hit things at these ranges consistently!