HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is a good beginner compound bow?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 04:46 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

My goodness when you said your son I was imagining a small boy. Your son is a giant! Here is my opinion so take it for what its worth. I've been shooting bows since I could walk (before compounds) and I've been hunting for 55 years now so I have a bit of experience.
So here goes....If you're serious about archery hunting and are going to stick with it there is no need for a "beginner" bow. You might as well put your money up one time and be satisfied and have confidence in your bow. Go to as many archery shops as you can and try out as many bows as you can. You want a bow that feels comfortable for YOU. You and your son may have totally different feels on this so its possible you may not get the same bow model or even the same manufacturer.
Also, if you've never shot or haven't shot a bow much you soon realize that you'll be using muscles that you didn't use much before and they will require some toning up. I see you're in the NE so you don't need to shoot a monster 70+ bow. If you get one in the 45-60# range or even the 55-70# adjustment range you will be good for anything in North America. Start at a lower setting and slowly build up. For whitetails anything in the 45+ pound draw range is sufficient. Heavier will give you a little more speed and more penetration on a less than ideal arrow placement.
Also, broadheads are expensive these days. Again, my opinion, if you're going to shoot <50# draw use a fixed blade broadhead. If you go heavier you can look into the mechanicals. I prefer Rage Hypodermic 2 blade. NAP Spitfire is another good mechanical.
Good luck and practice, practice, practice.