HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stacking up the chucks
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 05:09 AM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
Nice when your hobby pays part of the bill for itself. Why the switch in scopes? Do you need the extra magnification for the distance you shoot or are you trying to shoot further into the evening?
The first Vortex the crossfire was a Second focal plane scope. The BDC lines changed with the power of the scope. The Diamondback is a first focal plane. The values for the MOA lines stay the same. With the Diamondback I can dial up the drop or I can use the MOA lines in the scope. That scope also has a ton of Windage MOA dots to work with. So if I am at 45 yards, I get in the blind and shoot at a dirt clod. I can count the MOA dots for both drop and windage to get a better idea where to hold.
Last the higher power setting is nice but I seldom go over 18. My Crossfire scopes were clear out to 12X but the diamondback is clear out to 18 power. Above that it does lack in clarity but it is still not bad.
I use a range finder on every shot and correct the scope for each shot. The Diamondback is an awesome scope for that.