HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Manchurian Pheasants
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 06:24 PM
Mason Brubaker
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
its been proven time and time again, that most ALL pen raised birds DON"T LAST in the wild
if talking about PA here, the state game dept, would have been a TON better off , after so many yrs of WASTED spending on pen raised bird(millions and millions of dollars)
the $$ they dropped, they could have Bough ta LOT of land and BUILT p[rime habitat for them to BUY REAL WILD pheasants trapped in states that have healthy populations of wild birds
something, PROVEN to work, by Pheasants Forever, that started releasing them in PA
and its was SO nice of the PA game commission to take credit for the work of pheasants forever in them doing so!, proving that adding wild birds WORKS and pen raised one's Doesn't!
Just another example IMO, of where the PA Game Commission dropped the ball and was SUPER slow to realizing this!
from a TOP 10 pheasant state to almost ZERO wild pheasants, and they CLAIM its NOT there FAULT!
wonder who's it was? as MY understanding was the Pa game commission was in charge of PROTECTING the wildlife of the state??
funny how that BLAME doesn;'t fall on them, but pass the buck blame everyone else!

this is a PET peeve of mine, as I spent a Lot of time and $$ driving west to hunt wild PHEASANTS, these pen raised one's my dogs used to catch live all the time , wasn't hunting was like catch and release hunting them for me and my buddies!
me and my friends all quit hunting pheasants in PA< what a shame, pa was once such a GREAT state for wildlife!

and got to love now numbers are so low they charge for a pheasant permit? I, guess the GAME Co is broke after wasting so much on pen raised birds they now want to charge you for them !, guess some one has to pay for the one's cats eat and get hit by cars! HAHA!
oh I totally agree with you in terms of the game comm wasting money and how that money should have been out towards habitat work. But hell im a senior in high school and don’t have access to wild birds to trap, so I’m trying to make due the best I can. We have put countless acres on many different farms around us into high quality habitat and it seems like it has worked thus far. I know the chances of full repopulation with pen raised birds is slim to none, but it’s the best I can manage at this point. Maybe this winter I will be able to get out and trap some. A man can dream right.