HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - have you ever been charged by a hog
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 11:59 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting is different than hunting with a rifle or pistol. But I'd be darned if I wouldn't have at least a .357 magnum pistol with me as a backup. I use a .44 special mainly for the ability for a quick second shot, less recoil quicker second shot.

Here there are classes of hunters, those that do it mainly as a full-time job. Serious hobby or semi-professional, weekend warriors and novices. The professional or serious hunters are often the ones that go after wounded game, especially in group hunts. You see more and more of them with bayonet lugs on their rifles or slug guns and bayonets on their belts. Looking for a wounded Hog in thick brush can be a sphincter tightening experience, They move through the tunnels below your eye level, you are making a racket breaking brush while moving so it is hard to hear them coming. Even the dogs get confused with all the racket and Hog scent everywhere. My opinion is do what the professionals do, us a bayonet when an attack is possible to fend off an angry Hog. The professionals are also fond of the bigger is better philosophy when Hog hunting, you rarely see one with anything less than a 30 06 with 220-grain bullets or the all-time favorite is a 9:3 X 64.

If you watch videos of Hog attacks, the guys that are experienced fend them off with their rifle barrel then take a shot when practical.

Why many places have forbidden bayonets on rifles eludes me, the only real reason I can think of is they look scary, kind of like partially serrated blades on a knife, they look scary so they must be bad. My thinking is a serrated blade comes in handy when filed dressing large game and a bayonet might keep a big sow from chewing my testicles off.

Side note, Boar have all the rep, but Sows will chew up and run off a Boar (I've watched them do it). A large Sow comes at you head back jaws wide open and those jaws are crotch high on most people, Boars slash, Sows bite and the biguns have bone-crushing bites. I'm not really afraid of them, but I do respect them as a threat.