HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - saving for my FIRST ever travel/guided hunt
Old 02-16-2020, 01:59 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

A relatively inexpensive hunt that is also a lot of fun is pronghorn antelope. If you're not after a record book animal there are a lot of options for a DIY hunt. And you may get to shoot a nice one in the process. The really big "goats" though are found through guided hunts where the outfitter leases a ranch and is very selective about the animals he takes. My first antelope hunt I was ready to shoot just about anything and we must have looked at over 200 buck before he found one he wanted me to shoot!.
Depending on your budget will determine the outfitter you get. Those that charge a premium are usually the ones that have the best ranches and the highest success. But it is still hunting so you may just end up coming home with an unfilled tag. I've been on 3 elk hunts that ended with no shots fired. Something you have to consider. Remember its the experience not the harvest that separates true hunters from those just wanting to kill something.
Just a case in point: I was on a Newfoundland moose hunt with my friend and there were 3 other guys in camp. Two of the "hunters", a father and son had purchased moose, caribou and bear tags for the 7 day hunt. Which is all well and good. But when they did not shoot anything they packed up and left 3 days into the hunt. Us remaining 3 hunters each shot our moose. The father and son must have thought the outfitter had the game tied up waiting for them.
PS: on that hunt, right before I shot my bull, I saw a huge black bear. I was all ready to shoot him too but I misunderstood the outfitter when he said it was only an additional $250 for a "stumble on" bear tag. I thought he had the tags on hand. Turns out you had to buy them prior to. The $250 was for getting the animal. No biggie but just something to think of. Make sure you know everything BEFORE the hunt.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-16-2020 at 02:06 PM.